Re: [LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode002

From: Chris Bannister <cbannister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 16 2013 - 17:08:55 EEST

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 03:34:37PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 23:32 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > I'd even venture further and say that they've convinced people that the
> > problem(s) lies within themselves!
>
> It's unfortunately true, that most issues with Windows machines are
> caused by the users and not by Windows. I help many people with their
> computer issues, it would be easier for me, if they would use Linux, but
> they would be completely overchallenged with Linux. What we don't like
> on Windows for the most parts, is well-considered and tailored for a
> special target group. We aren't the target group of Microsoft. Keep in
> mind that what's normal for you and me, is way beyond the knowledge of
> even well educated, smart people who don't care about how computers
> work.

[...]

I think you miss my point. Have you ever lost your work under Windows
because you didn't save it often? So if you lose it -- the answer is
'Oh you idiot! You should save your work often!"

whereas

well ... it wasn't called the blue screen of death for nothing.

Have you ever asked for help within Windows, only be taken to a screen
talking about a load of stuff which has nothing to do with the subject
you want help with?

Have you ever tried to figure out why a menu option/button toggle
doesn't work because they are using some sort of weird reverse logic?

Eventually, you start thinking ... "Jeez I must be really thick! I can't
understand these bloody computers!"

> We can't compare oranges and bananas.

Au contraire, we can and do!

oppressing." --- Malcolm X