Re: [LAU] Art's suitability for anything

From: James Harkins <jamshark70@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 17 2013 - 16:36:34 EEST

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@...> writes:

> On Sat, 2013-08-17 at 13:18 +0800, James Harkins wrote:
> > Ralf wrote:
> >
> > > There's a difference between art and tools released for the public.
> > > Art, excepted of the crap on the radio, should not suit to anything.
>
> This is a simplified statement. I guess it's Woody Allen's "Hannah and
> Her Sisters" were somebody wanted to buy a painting, that should fit to
> the color of the sofa. Design isn't the same as art, handcrafts isn't
> the same as art. Sure, art you like will fit to your psyche, but it's
> not the target to please people, it should give people a wake call.

Part of my point is that this wake-up call depends on the existence of an
audience (even if only a small audience) that *wants* a wake-up call -- an
audience that takes pleasure in getting smacked upside the head with something
they never heard before. The wake-up call function of music may be a feature
of this or that musical subculture, but I'm not sure that it has any meaning
independent of a musical community that supports it.

hjh