Re: [LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 18 2013 - 23:46:52 EEST

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 01:03:19PM -0700, J. Liles wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> > * To report a bug would be completely useless in such a case. *
>
> Not true. The bug report would be useful if it was submitted to the
> distribution and the packager decided to just remove the offending plugins
> from the distro.

The net effect would be zero, as you probably know. Packagers would
just refer you upstream.

> This is why diversity is good. People are free to write as many plugins as
> they want of whatever level of quality and as long as we as a community
> have the ability to measure and evaluate such things and share our results,
> then the bad ones can be weeded out. The problem is, to my knowledge no
> LADSPA or LV2 plugin has ever been weeded out!

Correct. There is no quality awareness at all. Which means that
even if you write something that does work and package it in one
of the popular formats (e.g. LV2), it just becomes part of the
giant heap of junk.

Ciao,

--
FA