Re: [LAU] 3.10-rt kernels unusable

From: Victor A. Stoichita <vicsto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 28 2013 - 12:31:51 EEST

On 26 August 2013 17:02, Joakim Hernberg <jbh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Seeing that you use that <censured> yaourt to build the kernel package
> and even run out of space on your tmpf, maybe something has gone wrong.
> Much better would be to install the devtools package and build it in a
> chroot, with "sudo extra-x86_64-build".
>
> You could also try the following binary packages that I just uploaded
> to see if that makes a difference:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/879835/linux-rt-3.10.9_rt5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/879835/linux-rt-headers-3.10.9_rt5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Thanks for the links! I hope you enjoy your vacation nevertheless ;-)
I don't use yaourt to build linux-rt. But I tried the binaries: the same
problems occured. I had a bunch of xruns as soon as I started playback, on
a session which runs smoothly with other kernels. I could restart Ardour
and reproduce it so it's not just an occasional mishap.
I also tested with the option for i915 do_wbinvd=no which helps other
people (see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-rt/). But no
improvement for me.

> Finally -rt is an experimental patch and folklore is that it stabilizes
> somewhere around -rt10 or so :)

I love computer folklore :-) !

> Maybe it would be better to report
> you bugs upstream on the linux-rt-users mailing list and see if they
> can help you with specific problems/issues.

Indeed, I should do that. Thanks for pointing to that list.

Cheers,
Victor