Re: [LAU] mastering dilemma

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 05 2013 - 22:29:41 EEST

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 01:07:47PM -0500, Brent Busby wrote:

> 1) To use spectrum analyzers and careful listening to try to
> understand the "tone" that the commercial mastering world has
> apparently agreed on, and
>
> 2) To figure out why I would want that. On most decent speakers,
> it seems to sound thin and lack authority. It's terrible having to
> cater to the lowest common denominator.

If someone's paying you to do some mixing/mastering job, and that's
all there is to it, just do as the customer wants and get your money.

OTOH, if you do have some artistic responsability, I see no reason
why you should follow the mainstream (*) or want to do that.

I agree that almost all pop music today sounds anemic. Male singers
sound as if their b***s are in a vise, a combination of EQ that
almost removes the fundamental and auto'talent'. Females sound as
if ********* CENSORED **********.

And it's not limited to pop. At least half of the classical releases
today are being peppered up in ways that has nothing at all to do
with a natural live sound.

Ciao,

(*)
"Do you know what's on the bottom of the mainstream ?"
"Mediocrity !"

(From 'Death in Venice', T. Mann / L. Visconti)

--
FA