Re: [LAU] M/S EQ in Linux

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Sep 10 2013 - 11:09:41 EEST

On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 09:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 17:42 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
> > I've been looking for a way to try mid/side EQ in Linux. The
> > documentation for the Calf plugins implies they can
> > (http://calf.sourceforge.net/plugins.html#filter), but never says how.
> > Also, I don't see anything in the GUI that would allow you to toggle mid
> > versus side versus whole mix.
> >
> > Are mid/side EQ tricks possible with the Calf plugins, or any other way
> > on Linux?
>
> I had to read
> http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/articles/live-tech-0311.htm first,
> because I didn't know this "term".
>
> I would stay away from those fashion mixing techniques. If you split the
> signal that way and manipulate it using an EQ, it is asking for serious
> trouble.

PS: You won't run that easy into issues, when you use different EQ
settings for the channels of "normal" stereo signals, but even this only
makes sense as an exception. IMO people should _learn_ to use EQs that
effect the signal for the left and right channel by the same values.
_Lerning_ how to use an EQ in many cases can replace all kinds of
dynamic manipulating effects and then a good stereo mix can be done by
using "normal" panning.