Re: [LAU] options for hard real time kernel for raring 13.04

From: Marco Donnarumma <devel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 11 2013 - 17:46:10 EEST

update:

1_ tried to install 3.10-2-rt-686-pae_3.10.7-1_i386.deb from
http://packages.debian.org/jessie/linux-image-3.10-2-rt-686-pae, but it
didn't like my initramfs-tools version (apparently too old for the new
kernel) and installed without configuration so had to remove. See log:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of initramfs-tools:
 linux-image-3.10-2-rt-686-pae (3.10.7-1) breaks initramfs-tools (<<
0.110~) and is unpacked but not configured.
  Version of initramfs-tools to be configured is 0.103ubuntu0.7.

2_ my low-latency kernel is 3.8.0*. I compiled my own rt-kernel, using
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.2.48.tar.bz2 and its
related rt patch, as in the tutorial that Jeremy posted. The kernel
compiles and installs fine, but when I load it from grub, Mint load
correctly, and then (before seeing anything on screen) my screen goes
black. Nothing to do there, tried to use hotkeys to get a tty, restart, or
shutdown, but had only to push the power button.

It's probably an nvidia driver-related issue, am I correct?

Found some suggestions about patching the nvidia driver with some custom
code here [1], but the driver they use there is quite old. And last time I
had fiddled with nvidia driver it was the most painful experience ever... :)

Will investigate further, please throw me suggestions if any,

I might ask falkTX how he sees the rt-kernel for 13.04. I saw there is some
working on Launchpad, but they are last modified sept. 2012 (?).

thank you!
best,

[1]

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.