Re: [LAU] M/S EQ in Linux

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Sep 12 2013 - 01:00:11 EEST

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 21:06 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 05:02:42PM -0400, Ricardus Vincente wrote:
> > On 09/11/2013 04:06 PM, Brent Busby wrote:
> >
> > > Actually what I'm suspecting here is that this particular stereo's
> > > dynamic response *isn't* linear, at least not in regard to bass. It
> > > seems to almost act as though the bass is reacting with more dynamic
> > > range than what is actually there, at least with reference to other
> > > playback systems. Sorry if that's totally wrong, but that's just what I
> > > think I'm seeing.
> >
> > Then I would suggest you listen on a more linear playback system. How
> > your mix translates in a crappy system should be of no interest to you.
>
> Listening on systems with a limited response can help to produce a mix
> that works well everywhere. If a mix doesn't work on such a system,
> it probably means that it tries to balance the bass by boosting the
> lowest range and is lacking energy in the higher bass range.

True

https://www.google.de/search?q=auratone&client=firefox-a&hs=Clt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aeQwUtCAGcGatQaHs4G4CA&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1152&bih=703&dpr=1

However, modern crappy 200 W and more hifi equipment often only works
when the music is insane loud, at sane levels the speakers and what ever
else in the sound chain, are more biased, than at blast level. I had a
neighbour who is young, with a modern hifi, who listened to black eyed
peas or other crap that does sound as criminal as they do. The
generation "I even listen to my music, when using the local public
transport, at full power, by my smart phone speaker" owns gear that
perhaps doesn't fulfill what should be expected for "HiFi" equipment.