Re: [LAU] mastering dilemma

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 12 2013 - 22:31:45 EEST

On Thu, September 12, 2013 11:53 am, Lieven Moors wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 01:07:47PM -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
>> I'm going about the process of trying to learn what goes into
>> commercial mastering (yeah, I know...), and one of the conundrums
>> I've run into is that while most commercially produced music has a
>> particular sort of common EQ curve to it, I have to really force
>> myself to try to want that curve when I'm mixing. Really, it just
>> sounds cold. Almost anything sounds better (at least on good
>> speakers) with less cutting around 120-180Hz than most CD's seem to
>> have. And it really must be the result of EQ cuts too -- apart from
>
> Mastering is also about getting a good sound on a lot of different
> sound systems. My first guess would be that this frequency range could
> be problematic on some frequently used (and often cheap) systems,
> like car radios f.e.

there are also some stereo preamps where the "loudness" if turned on, (or
it maybe on all the time if there is no switch) "kicks out" part way
through volume control range. So at low levels, loudness is on and at high
levels not. If you happen to be mixing through one of these with the level
below the threshold... you may be monitoring your mix with loudness on.

This was before digital came along in preamp signal chains, newer ones may
be doing a sliding loudness against level thing.

Mixer -> power amp may be the best thing to try. Using a consumer amp for
mix monitoring may give strange results.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net