Re: [LAU] [LAD] Aeolus

From: <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2013 - 17:55:17 EEST

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:29:02PM -0700, J. Liles wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>> It has come to my attention that there are ATM at least two
>> 'forks' of Aeolus. The first by the MuseScore team, the second
>> by one Maurizio Gavioli.

> Respectfully, you granted people the right to fork your code in the first
> place.

Respect is indeed the key word here.

Speaking personally, I feel that the rights granted by Open Source users are
there to protect users against developers who are not acting in their best
interets. There is, I would say, at least a moral obligation that you try to
work with those developers before simply taking their work without any
consideration for them.

Developers of Open Source software are doing their users a huge favour, and
some level of respect and courtesy is the least they ought to be able to
expect.

This is not intended as a comment on this specific case or any other as I
don't know the details, merely on the implication that just because you have
the Right to do something if you need to, it's OK to go ahead and do it
without any further consideration.

bjb