Re: [LAU] Aeolus

From: Tim Orford <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2013 - 00:42:41 EEST

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:37:28AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> [...]
> There's an entire "modular DAW" called ayyi that is a fork of ardour's
> codebase. The author has never spoken to me once (at least not with an
> acknowledgement of what s/he was up to). Whoever is doing is is still
> active (recent releases on September 2nd). They distribute the ardour
> libraries as part of their source tree. They clearly want to produce
> something that operates in the same space as Ardour, although they have
> changed the name and have a very different architectural concept in mind
> [...]

Hi Paul

I am the main Ayyi Project developer.

I sincerely hope that the use of your code hasn't caused any offence.
The project is not intended to be competitive with Ardour and is likely
to remain merely a proof-of-concept. If I you have any objections, please
let me know as I would be very keen to accommodate you. For example if you
dislike the use of the name "ardourd", I will change that.

Perhaps an academic distinction but I prefer to think of the current
Ayyi Project server as a libardour application rather than being a
fork. There are no changes other than to facilitate IPC, and as libardour
is not packaged separately including it in the Ayyi tree is the only option.

We have had conversations on LAD and IRC but we just have very different
ideas about what a DAW should be. I have a great deal of respect for
Ardour and all the great work you and others have done and ideally I would
very much like to contribute, something that a more modular approach would
help with. Who knows one day I may write a re-usable component that Ardour
can use. A lot of my recent work has gone into libwaveform
https://github.com/ayyi/libwaveform
which is a small step for me in the direction of re-usable code.

But to get the conversation back to Fons original topic, I think
that many coders find talking unproductive and prefer to let their
code do the talking. Forking is a natural and healthy part of
that. Github has the right idea, in encouraging forking as part
of the process of contributing to the original codebase.

Regards

--
Tim