Re: [LAU] Some linux keyboard and bass jamming

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2013 - 19:00:38 EEST

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 01:08:40PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Ken!
> I've been listening to the portion between 3:55 and 4:50.
> Interesting. I like the funk influence there. From the mean
> basslines to the cool clav and everything. The drums are
> interesting, but especially the bassdrum is very flat part of the
> time. It sounds like like a sneaker kicking a rotten salad. But the
> loops/rhythms and variations were good.
> What exactly was the context of this session?
> Clav-infectedly yours
> Julien

Glad you're enjoying it.

This was part of a weekly live streaming radio broadcast which usually features DJ's, MC's, producers, and occasionally some live musicians.

Spukkin goes light on the bass drum, I noticed, that's part of his sound, lots of complex percussion and drums and not a heavy kick. That makes it easy to do the kind of "winsheild wipers" polyrhythms I like to do (i.e. playing basslines and/or melodies in 5/4 or 6/4 over a 4/4 loops), though I'm pretty sure I kept it straight 4/4for most of this show.

-ken