Re: [LAU] Launchpad S and Linux

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 28 2013 - 00:59:54 EEST

On Fri, September 27, 2013 1:21 pm, Aurélien Leblond wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting the Launchpad S and I was wondering if anybody had
> any go at them with our favourite operating system:
> - the Novation website says the S version of the Launchpad doesn't need a
> driver ans is therfore compatible with Linux. Is it simply seen as a MIDI
> device?

If you go to the website, select support->downloads and run a search for
"launchpad s" (which does not mean saucy on launchpad :) It will give a
list of things you can download. There are 3 of them that are pdf docs. I
grabbed them al, but it appears the one you want is launchpad-s-prm.pdf.
The programmers reference manual. The very first line says: "Launchpad S
communicates using MIDI over USB in both directions. This is the only
interface that the device supports. By describing the MIDI communication
format, this manual contains all the information you need to be able to
write software that is customised for Launchpad S."

So, You are being told that the Launchpad S appears to linux like a MIDI
device just the same as any keyboard would. The rest of the manual tells
you what the midi commands are that it sends and knows how to receive.

Compatibility with sw would depend on what you wish it to do. It may
require a program to send midi strings to it to set it up to send what the
sw you want to control needs to make it do what you want. The unit comes
with some setups that work with Ableton, but not any other windows sw.
however, because it is open, it should not be hard to set it up to work
with other things too.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net