Re: [LAU] Some music made with linux, from the vaults

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 06 2013 - 11:37:48 EEST

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:23:30AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Ken!
> Nice tracks. Not my top five out of your tracks, but definitely
> nice. :-) I like both titles very much though. They convey something
> eccentric and slightly nerdy. :-)

They were experiments. Glad you liked them though.

> I didn't start on the right foot with breakfast at 1. I thought:
> why 808, why not 909? This question however was answered quickly,
> when the Rhodes joined the funfair. Nice touch that! In combination
> with the Rhodes, the 808 made much more sense to me. It left the
> piano more space to breathe and roominate. I love those funky/jazzy
> reminiscences. Something I can never pull off, as well as you can.
> No rock 'n' role and no funk. :-) Nice little track!

I looked at the Hydrogen file; it's actually a TR-606. Cheez-o-rama.
And it's in 7/4. Of course.

> Allure oddmeter, did hold a slight allure. Unfortunately something
> had to be steady in this song and the poor old drumtrack had to
> suffer that dubious pleasure. :-( If that had been replaced with a
> real drummer or a drumkit of any sort played live or programmed in
> interesting and twisted ways, this would have been on its way to a
> smash-hit. :-) Oddly though, I didn't find the 9/4 too confusing.
> Perhaps I didn't always follow the twists and turns of the bassline,
> but it felt comfrotable to listen to. Enough so, tht I could enjoy
> the mean basslines. Not as predominant and pregnant, as I've heard
> them in some of your other songs, but it was there. While listening
> and discovering the acoustic piano, I started thinking, that one
> could probably have fun with this piece, writing an analysis of the
> composer's intentions. So many events and twists, for such a small
> arrangement and that style of music, that one could assign to
> underlying themes, desires and messages of the author. :-) Coming
> back into the non-fictional world, those ongoings are, what makes
> this piece interesting, in spite of the looped drums.

It was me exploring my Dosh obsession-- before I'd ever heard of Dosh.

Odd meters in shifting synchronization, kind of like if Steve Reich
and the minimalists came from a more African than European background.
My old drummer called it "windsheild wiper music", as in, when two
windsheild wipers on a car with two wiper motors drift in and out
of sync.

It was just a rough sketch. The mix would need more pads and stuff,
and the arrangement would need to go somewhere; it's too static.

> May I finish this with a wish: do more housekeeping and cleaning,
> perhaps you'll find more. :-) I will hope for the best and leave you
> to being prepared for the worst. - Honestly: both of them nice,
> sturdy tracks, not catchy, but catching.

Thanks. I don't think there's too much more left in there, but
I'll keep looking.

-ken