Re: [LAU] [ANN] meters.lv2 v0.5.1

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 07 2013 - 22:59:58 EEST

On Monday 07 October 2013 15:53:52 Robin Gareus did opine:

> On 10/07/2013 11:59 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > On 10/05/2013 06:56 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> >> Additionally it includes a Stereo Phase Correlation Meter (needle
> >> Display), an EBU-R128 Meter (also based on Fons' implementation) with
> >> Histogram and History display, a Digital True-Peak Meter (4x
> >> Oversampling, using zita-resampler), a Stereo Phase Scope
> >> (Goniometer) and a 31 Band Spectrum-Analyzer.
> >
> > (insert usual friendly ridicule of animated VU meters here)
>
> lol. yeah, VU meters just exist to look nice :)
> Even most of the hardware ones are utterly useless (see "[LAD] vu-meter
> DSP" this July). At least this one does conform to spec. Thanks Fons.
>
> > but hey, it does look nice! i've always had this fondness for
> > jellyfish meters.
>
> The goniometer(TM) aka Stereo Phase Scope is not a jellyfish display. JF
> would be a surround 5.1 variation.

Your attempt at applying a trade mark to that word is about 45 or 50 years
late, that was the term used to describe a rotary transformer used to
rotate the display in color tv (NTSC days) vectorscopes first built by
Tektronx.

> I was actually positively surprised how much information is displayed by
> a goniometer. It takes a while to learn to read it, but it's amazing.

Yes it is. The learning part however, does separate the wannabees from the
doers though.

> We (Chris, Axel and I) went through various stages including
> video-taping the LV2 plugin display in order to improve readability and
> usefulness. The default preset is very close to that of a DK-Tech MSD600
>
> > and the radar-style r128 meter is a very welcome addition to the
> > toolbox, having this history information at a glance is very helpful
> > indeed. thanks for sharing this!
> >
> > built without problems and seems to run very smoothly.
>
> great. thanks for the feedback.
>
> > i believe radar meters have a bright future in different applications.
> > for instance, to provide limiter history. fons' zita-dpl1 has
> > short-term history already, which is extremely helpful. but to
> > imagine something that listens to transport information and provides
> > history of a whole song, plus "locate to peaks" from the history so
> > that i can manually tame parts where the limiter cut in too sharply,
> > that would be awesome.
>
> 'locate to peaks' is a very nice idea. However I'm not aware of any
> plugin standard that allows to control the host's transport. A LV2
> extension could do that, though. zita-dlp1 could do this via
> jack-transport.
>
> > i'm currently trying to make sense of the libcairo version number in
> > opensuse tumbleweed, but i guess our lady of the segmentation fault
> > will let me know if there is a problem...
>
> Depends. Thread-safety and concurrency issues may rather produce strange
> effects than segfault right away. It's mainly the EBUR128 meter (rapid
> font rendering), Try adding two or more instances of the openGL variant.
>
> It also depends on your graphics card. The plugins render directly to
> graphic card memory. It works fine here with an old intel-945 and some
> nvidia cards that I have tested: zero CPU. But Axel has various problems
> with his Radeon on debian/stable. Also x11/xcb can make a huge
> performance difference. -- Anyway, the concurrency issues
> cairo/pixman/pango + x11/opengl have been fixed upstream and will soon
> find their way int various distros if they have not yet done so.
>
> Cheers!
> robin

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A prohibitionist is the sort of man one wouldn't care to drink with
-- even if he drank.
		-- H. L. Mencken
         law-abiding citizens.