Re: [LAU] [ANN] meters.lv2 v0.5.1

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 08 2013 - 01:13:29 EEST

On 10/07/2013 10:08 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

>>> I was actually positively surprised how much information is displayed by
>>> a goniometer. It takes a while to learn to read it, but it's amazing.
>>
>> Yes it is. The learning part however, does separate the wannabees
>> from the doers though.
>
> well, reading a stereo scope is not too hard really. even if you only
> pick out some obvious aspects, it's still useful.

It's mainly about learning to recognize certain patters. and/or what
effects cause or counterbalance them.

What I found interesting that it visualizes pretty much every aspect of
the sound: Stereo-phase (obviously), frequency distribution (smooth vs
jittery lines), amplitude per channel,.. when used with a persistent
display also the history of that.

While implementing it, I realized how important various aspects of the
display are. It's not just connecting a scope and drawing Lissajous
figures. Compression (auto-gain) as well as screen-persistence and line
or dot thickness are important details that not only make it usable in
an audio-context but also very relevant for people who are used to
'read' real hardware goniometers. Many thanks go to Chris and Alex for
nitpicking about all this. We're still not quite done there, either.

2c,
robin