Re: [LAU] noise with pulseaudio on Delta 66

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 08 2013 - 04:16:36 EEST

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, April 8, 2013 5:32 am, Paul Coccoli wrote:
>> > I've had a Delta 66 PCI audio card for over a decade, and it's always
>> > sounded great. I recently had to transfer it to a new PC with a fresh
>> > install of Fedora 17. Now, when I play anything using any pulseaudio
>> > client, I get a strange digital noise (sort of like static, but almost
>> > like
>> > aliasing too).
>> >
>> > This does NOT happen when running jack, as far as I can tell.
>> >
>> > Aside from disabling or uninstalling pulseaudio, is there anything else I
>> > can do? Does anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> I also have a d66, but have not had that problem. Running Ubuntu, but that
>> shouldn't make a difference.
>>
>> Are you using spdif for an input? What sample rate do you normally use
>> with jack? (pulse defaults to 44100) Does pulse have access to the
>> internal card? Are you bridging pulse-jack? or just having problems pulse
>> direct the d66?
>>

> I'm not using any input right now; playback only. I normally run jack
> at 48000. The internal audio interface is disabled via the BIOS.
> pulse and jack share the delta card via whatever mechanism Fedora uses
> (I don't know how this works, but jack takes over and all pulse
> clients go quiet).
>
> The problem is pulse clients (e.g. banshee, firefox) playing back on
> the delta 66.
>
>> Latency should not be a problem with pulse on it's own. The only problem I
>> have had with pulse has been with it having interaction between the
>> internal audio IF and the d66 when bridging... and with a netbook mic
>> which was 48000 only. I have had less problems setting pulse to default at
>> 48k.
>
> After figuring out how to change pulseaudio's sample rate (added
> "default-sample-rate = 48000" to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf) the problem
> *may* have gone away. It's not happening right now, anyway.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Len.

I'm resurrecting my old thread here.

This problem never went away. The sound on my PC through pulseaudio
is awful (at either 44.1 or 48kHz) and sounds as great as it ever has
through this 10+ year old sound card (Delta 66) when running the same
player through jack.

Can anyone think of anything that would cause pulseaudio (or pulse
clients) to add some kind of aliasing noise into the output? It's
extremely irritating, and I don't really want to run jack 24x7. I
suppose it's time to disable pulseaudio?