Re: [LAU] Examples of synth/drum live performance Jack setups ?

From: Barney Holmes <djbarney@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 16 2013 - 23:49:43 EEST

Quoting Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>:

> On 10/16/2013 04:57 PM, Barney Holmes wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm from a DJ'ing background and prefer to play live and record tracks
>> by keeping everything as live as possible. Think of Richie Hawtin using
>> locked groove drum loop records and this kind of thing to make a hybrid
>> between DJ'ing and on-the-fly original track creation. I know Ardour and
>> Jack. I can create totally presequenced productions but find that takes
>> away my spontaneity. Are there examples out there of these kind of set
>> ups ? I need as many examples as possible for encouragement if nothing
>> else. I did start using Hydrogen to drive external drum synths, like
>> Yoshimi that can make drum and percussion sounds, but the Hydrogen
>> controls are set up for altering the included sample sets and don't do
>> anything to the MIDI output. I suppose I'm trying to recreate the
>> immediacy and spontaneity that using original hardware 808/909/sampler
>> set ups used to be able to create. Another example was the immediate
>> accessibility of Propellerhead Rebith 303. It has a good real time 303
>> implementation but all the percussion was sample based, which I want to
>> move away from. I've found creating a drum in Yoshimi sounds *much*
>> richer and more dynamic than samples. So what are you using out there ?
>> Screen shots ?
>>
>> Peace
>>
>> djbarney
>>

> Hi Barney,
>
> You need to check out Superdirt˛, I think it's quite close to what
> you're aiming at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YAFu7hgbE0
> And yes, that's Hydrogen running on the notebook.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

That's a great example ! They do a very good job of striking the
balance between sequenced percussion and live instruments which is
quite a difficult balance to strike. I would have put more composition
of the percussion in but that's my stylee not Superdirt stylee. If you
listen to some the original german trance/techno on labels like
Harthouse they use a lot of subtle percussion composition, build ups,
break downs and so forth. I proved to myself in the 1990's that it was
possible to do this live using the software Rebirth. I never got back
to implementing this until recently (long story).

djbarney