Re: [LAU] another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 28 2013 - 17:07:32 EET

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:42:55 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Monday 28 October 2013 10:22:21 michael noble did opine:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
> >
> > alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > > As any reputation management consultant will tell you, you can only
> > > deal with this sort of stuff by producing tons of amazing content. So
> > > the only way to deal with this is using your time wisely (read: stay
> > > away from /.) and being bloody awesome :)
> > >
> > > Alexandre
> >
> > I do try to stay away for just that reason, but every now and then I
> > check in. When will I learn...

The derp is definitely flying there. I saw a guy's ProTools rig under
windows go down in flames last week at a live show. Didn't affect the
show, but it definitely hosed the recording of a couple of songs while he
did a hard boot and reloaded the environment.

The fact is that all systems and platforms are fallible, and the people
*screaming* about how bad Linux is seem to have blinders on about everything
except their chosen platform.

There's more derp about how Ardour isn't free unless you build it from
source, completely ignoring all the distros that include a package for it.

Even more derp about how Ardour sucks and can't possibly be used by
serious professionals, and how you can't exchange sessions with other DAWs.
I don't see a great deal of exchange between big players like ProTools and
Cubase or Reaper or Ableton or.. or... that's why people do stem exports, and
oh, hey, look over here under the File menu - there's an option for stem
exports. I just sent tracks I recorded with Ardour to another engineer for
mixing, and the stem export did just what we needed it to.

Sadly, the screaming derpers drown out the people who are there to say
it's working for them. Slashdot never changes, does it?