Re: [LAU] another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 28 2013 - 21:13:40 EET

I wonder if any of the people flaming Linux pro audio have even tried it
any time in the last four years -- the improvements just recently have
been amazing. Regarding Ardour, I wouldn't be that surprised if they
hadn't tried it since Ardour 2.x and Jack 1. I really couldn't ask for
more in a DAW than its current state.

Where I do get envious of the Mac/Windows world sometimes is some of
their plugins for simulating certain colorations. Universal Audio has
very intersting plugins for emulating tape saturation, classic mixer
console channel strips, and the Roland Dimension D rackmount chorus.
They require hardware acceleration from a special DSP (available either
in a PCI card or an external firewire box), and thus probably a special
driver -- an even bigger barrier to Linux compatibility than the
programs themselves. But these UA plugins really do get me drooling...

Izotope Ozone's mastering suite is something else we don't have anything
in the ballpark of. I don't know if it would be possible to run
something that big under Wine with WineASIO or not. It's quite a large
set of applications.

Anyway, despite all this, I'm not planning on leaving Linux. It's
currently giving me far more than I had when I started (in the era of
tape and hardware sequencing), and it's getting better every year.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky