Re: [LAU] another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 28 2013 - 21:28:07 EET

Recording an album is good possible on Linux. It's far more problematic
to compose music (both by music notation and MIDI) on Linux, MIDI tools
is the neglected child here.

Ardour3 has MIDI, but there're debates how useful it is atm. Ardour is
focusing on audio engineering, so you probably shouldn't expect it to
get comparable results as you'll get on other platforms.

Qtractor is more mature, but is lacking stuff like Jack Midi and also
the busses system is a bit strange imho.

I've little experience with Muse2, but it is pretty mature if I believe
the stories. It doesn't have a very inspiring GUI though.

Moreover, small issues are the biggest problems on linuxaudio for a good
workflow. If you're unlucky you're more busy reporting issues then
making music.

As mentioned before, the NON tools + Carla, are making things much
better for me. But also here non-sequencer is less mature then
non-timeline and non-mixer. Laborejo is promising when working with
notation but also lacking matureness and features.

Regards,
\r