Re: [LAU] OT: another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

From: Set Hallström <sakrecoer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 29 2013 - 22:46:56 EET

Ethic, emotional, moral, wealth... LOVE! :D very abstract words. Their
definitions is bound to your first experience of the feelings behind them :)

But you are right, at least, i understand your point and relate to it. I
chose the same path as you. I don't want to deal with the music industry.
(It's dying anyway :D) And I despise everything that is related to
"idolatry". I am basically not so compatible with the "rock'n'roll" as you
mention it i guess. Althought i must say there is quite a lot of
rock'n'roll in my life. Just not so shiny or glamorous... LOL (
http://sakrecoer.com/assets/mu/files/Sakrecoer-Pa_Manen_007_01-Dumb_Bumm.mp3)

I work part time in a powerplant. I have the same task as Homer Simpson:
looking after a machine that looks after itself, alone in a control room
with infinite knowledge: internet.
But in my powerplant we burn trash instead of atoms. It pays good enough to
have 3 saturdays and a sunday each week.

Living according to my own definitions is what makes me happy. Doing music
in genres i fancy, instead of the ones that are expectef from me.

But then again, i can afford happyness since i have absolutley 0 debts.

*Set

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 13:42 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> > I work as a "Letter carrier" (aka mailman, postman, whatever) and been
> > surprised at how many of my peers also make music. I think part of what
> > makes it atractive is the amount of time outside and away from any boss.
> > Also a willingness to experience the world even when the sun is not
> > shinning.
> >
> > As for music as a hobby vs. job... I think in the late 70s when I was
> > making the choice to do music or get a steady job (so I could own a house
> > instead of rent one), it was already obvious, that to make it big you had
> > to be willing to give up any ideals or belief... and make someone else
> > rich. The time of being able to make your own music and do well had
> > already ended (pretty much). There has been good music made since then,
> > but it is hard to find in stores or on the radio.
>
> "Mister postman look and see
> If there's a letter in your bag for me
> I been waiting such a long time
> Since I heard from that girl of mine"
>
> Rock'n'Roll, Punk Rock, IOW real live.
>
> I Love it, I prefer to carry brigs on a building lot, than to give a
> lecture on audio engineering or rock music at an academy.
>
> And again, this is my rock'n'roller _emotion_. I don't condemn anybody
> being VDT, being an academic teaching music or what ever.
>
> Everybody has to decide what is important for her/him. Don't care about
> ethics! Listen to your heart!

Set Hallström
AKA
reSet Sakrecoer