Re: [LAU] Out Now: The Magnetophon Sessions, by Munk!

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 04 2013 - 00:19:10 EET

Am Sonntag, 3. November 2013, 21:50:03 schrieb rosea.grammostola:
> On 11/03/2013 07:51 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

> >> Some feedback on the songs and the mix would be nice! :)
> > Hello Rosea,
> >
> > Listening to it now. Sounds way too roomy for me, I barely hear any
> > close miked instruments. Not that it's necessary but the room in which
> > you recorded seems to miss some warmth and atmosphere (too much
> > concrete, too little wood?) so the result sounds to me like there's
> > lacking some low. Also the room sounds a bit too small and it seems
> > little or no additional reverb was used so the mix sounds a bit boxy. I
> > also hear some badly intonated/tuned instruments, especially the guitar.
> > With regard to the songs, I barely listen to jazz but I do listen to
> > some bands that have incorporated jazz in their pop/rock sound like
> > Tortoise (album: Standards), Karate (album: Unsolved) or The Mercury
> > Program (album: A Data Learn The Language). I highly recommend giving
> > those bands a listen as I have the idea Munk! is also operating within
> > this scope. So I favor the tracks that lean more towards pop minus the
> > Ska kind of tracks as I don't like Ska myself (except for The Specials).
> > All in all nice job!
> >

> Thanks Jeremy, for your lengthly feedback. Not sure if I agree with it
> all, but I'm not an experienced sound engineer. Also we lost pretty some
> time for tuning the (bas)guitar, so I doubt if that one is not in tune,
> maybe its the dissonant jazz sound you're not used to :) Anyway, I
> didn't notice it, maybe I hear it when I listen it again. About the wood
> and the room, did you see the pictures on Barts website?
> http://www.magnetophon.nl/
>
> It's all wood there man :)
> In this article you'll find some graphs of the room, not sure how much
> that tells us:
> http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct10/articles/green-studio.htm
>
> The roomy sound was intentional, for the ska-like songs it might be
> interesting to see how it sounds with a more DI/closed mic sound.
> Another reason to do it this way was the heat in the studio. It was
> around 35 degrees in that week, sweat all over the place, so it would be
> even worse if we had to wear headphones.
>
> If I've Off The Chart on my headphone, I like the natural sounding, I
> think it's pleasant to listen to. Also I do prefer the trumpet sound
> with as less reverb as possible, I think reverb kills the sharpness of
> the tones too much.

I listened yesterday evening to the whole album (on headphones), and
I like it a lot. I agree with Jeremy only in that (in some rare spots only) the guitar
seems out of tune a bit, but not so much that it would disturb me. All in all
I share how you feel about it, and I had similar thoughts going on when
listening - it sounded warm, natural, transparent, and like the band had
fun playing it. As soon as my wallet is getting a bit thicker again...

Thanks for this, Edgar