Re: [LAU] Out Now: The Magnetophon Sessions, by Munk!

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 05 2013 - 23:04:58 EET

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:53:22 +0100
"rosea.grammostola" <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Munk!, a jazz/ska/funk band from Groningen, The Netherlands, has
> released an album made with free software, The Magnetophon Sessions.
>
> During the hot part of summer 2013, Munk! stayed at the cultural
> freezone Landbouwbelang in Maastricht (The Netherlands) for a week and
> recorded seven new tracks in the unique and inspiring studio
> Magnetophon. During the recordings we played with the whole band at
> once, to get the most musical results. All tracks are
> one-take-recordings, no edits where made when mixing the album.
>
> The Magnetophon Sessions is produced with opensource and free software
> on GNU/Linux.
> Most notably: Ardour2 for recording and mixing, LADSPA plugins for
> mixing, Gimp for graphics, Lives for video art.
>
> Recorded & mixed by Bart Brouns at Studio Magnetophon Maastricht
> www.magnetophon.nl <http://www.magnetophon.nl>
>
> Video clip Off The Chart:
> http://www.munk050.com/
>
> The Magnetophon Sessions, music & artwork:
> http://www.munk050.com/music/
>
> Our advise on price for the digital download would be in the range of 5
> -- 10 euro, but there's no minimum or maximum, so feel free, thanks for
> your support!
>
> Munk!

Enjoyed the music, but got the feeling that the vocals were too far back in the
mix. Also 'top end' seems weak - probably due to the mic placing etc.
Interesting venue, and i would think quite inspiring. I get the feeling that in
'Sunguruba' everyone was just totally chilled and having fun - possibly with
liquid assistance :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk