[LAU] [OT] mixing CC and GPL -- was [semi-OT] Licences and your opinion and experience

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 21:21:21 EET

On 11/14/2013 01:38 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I would like to know, what to do when e.g. icons are under the GPL and
> they are edited and mixed with artwork, that is under the creative
> commons?

Now we're going from semi-OT to OT :)

"Creative Commons" != "Creative Commons" you need to be very specific
what version and variant you mean. CC-BY-SA v3.0 can be combined with
the GPL, but in general the Creative Common License is not compatible
with the GPL. The final product of the remix is unlicensed. Neither GPL
nor CC applies. The result cannot be distributed under either license.

However, you can distribute individual files. eg. one icon under CC and
once icon under GPL in the same package. Each of the works is properly
licensed independently. An interesting aspect is that you mix them at
runtime. As long as you don't distribute the result (but only display
it) it should be fine. but IANAL.

Anyway this has been discussed in the past at great length - both here:
search the list-archive for "Legalities" or "CC", "GPL", the most recent
installment of which is
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2013-June/034002.html
 as well as on countless places on the web. Just use your favorite
search engine and continue at e.g.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FSF_approved_software_licenses
 https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

ciao,