Re: [LAU] Need some programming help.

From: Tito Latini <tito.01beta@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 19 2013 - 13:58:29 EET

You could try the follow command

cc -o precision_test -lm precision_test.c

uname -p
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor

# Usage: precision_test step
./precision_test 0.01 | column -t
A 1.000000000000
B 100.000000000000
A/B 0.010000000000
precision 2

If your output is different, there is a round off problem, I presume
with `rint'.

/* precision_test.c */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <ctype.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    double A, B, s;
    int i, c = 0;
    char temp[32];

    if (argc < 2) return 1;
    s = atof(argv[1]);
    /* Used in `Fl_Valuator::step' */
    A = rint(s);
    B = 1;

    while (fabs(s-A/B) > 4.66e-10 && B<=(0x7fffffff/10)) {
        B *= 10;
        A = rint(s*B);
    }
    /* Used in `Fl_Valuator::format' to calculate the precision for snprintf */
    snprintf(temp, sizeof(temp), "%.12f", A/B);

    for (i=(int) strlen(temp)-1; i>0; i--)
        if (temp[i]!='0') break;

    for (; i>0; i--, c++)
        if (!isdigit(temp[i])) break;

    printf("A %.12f\nB %.12f\nA/B %.12f\nprecision %d\n", A, B, A/B, c);
    return 0;
}