Re: [LAU] [semi-OT] Licences and your opinion and experience

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 26 2013 - 15:00:45 EET

Hello again, Mr. Robin

2013/11/25 Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>:
> On 11/25/2013 06:54 PM, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:
>> I've made a quick search in Sourceforge to see the number of projects
>> with each licence and related to Audio:
>
> [..]
>
> interesting breakdown. You're looking at this from the top, right? Most
> restrictive license per project?
>
> I wonder if it would makes sense detail this further. e.g lines-of-code
> per license.
>
> I suppose the picture is also somewhat incomplete because you did not
> include libraries which are used by many of the projects. e.g. LV2 SDK
> is MIT, libjack LGPLv2, vamp-plugin SDK 4-clause BSD,.. (no guarantee,
> that's just from the top of my head).

That's right, Robin, I mentioned "quick search". So therefore, please
forgive not being complete.

> If you multiply the use-count of these libraries by the number of
> projects that use them, I expect they will dominate GPL projects.
>
> The resulting app will still be GPL (or any other more restrictive
> license) and also the ratio 'lines-of-code per license' as well as
> 'projects per license' will remain unchanged.

Interesting.

> [..]
>> * GPL2/GPL2+: they are a vast majority, [..] Ardour [..]
>
> While the vast majority of Ardour's own source is GPL-2+, Ardour3 is
> effectively GPL-3+ because it includes some code under LGPL-3+.
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-multimedia/ardour3.git;a=blob;f=debian/copyright
> has a complete breakdown.

I didn't dive to such detail, good to know. And nice resource about
this matter that you link.

> [..]
>
>> I thought at the beginning that choosing GPLv3 was the way to go
>> nowadays: It's newer, and takes into account problems like
>> "Tivoization", patents and stuff.
>
> I suppose it makes no difference for the vast amount of linux-audio apps.
>
> I still see GPL-2 vs GPL-3 as a matter of choice! v3 is not better just
> because it has a higher number or is newer.
>
> e.g. maybe some people do want their synth to be included in some
> commercial product. The GPLv3 does make this much harder for most
> vendors (ie. they'd need to publish their build-stack). A reasoning pro
> GPLv2 would be for example: "I don't care how they build it, I don't
> want to tinker or hack it and rather just want to play the instrument.
> But if they change the synth itself, the must to publish the changes."
>
> 2c,
> robin

That is what I somehow supposed, maybe people are not so strict about
somebody/some-enterprise including their sw and having benefit from
it. In someway, I concur with that, even when I know some of them
(enterprises) just "vampirize" and have no return (support, money,
code) to the community at least.

Thanks again, Robin.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz