Re: [LAU] OT, but IMO really interesting living history: They still produce cassette tapes in Germany

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 04 2013 - 12:07:20 EET

On Wednesday 04 December 2013 04:50:01 Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 18:49 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > > Studer/Revox? I spent 2 years, about 1980, keeping 3 of those
> > > spinning 14" NAB reels running in an automation system feeding our
> > > FM station at KSUE. Not a particularly friendly machine to work on,
> > > but sure worked nice. And no, I wouldn't want to do it again since
> > > I don't have the manuals.
> >
> > Manuals? You need manuals? Real men don't need manuals ... well, they
> > certainly don't use them :)
>
> JFTR Gene seems not to talk about an user manual, but a service manual.

Correct, such manuals are as often as not from 1cm to 5cm thick. And in
some cases, north of 100 USD and only available to authorized service
centers. Both Panasonic and Sony are infamous for gouging the hell out of
tv stations, saying we aren't qualified even if we've spent the $20,000 USD
on the tool kits that makes us qualified. To them, its just another cash
cow.

And your server bounced my PM back to you. Seems we are on spamcops damned
list again. Don't ever lets a salesman who thinks a vacation auto-
responder on his/her mailbox is a good idea, anywhere near your own local
in-house network. Unfortunately, they do not understand the ramifications
of something that might get them a sale they would otherwise miss. To them
it 'cool', they saved the sale and thats all that counts.

> The reason that most consumer 4 track cassette recorders did sound that
> disgusting, wasn't the quality of the 4 track tape decks, it was missing
> maintenance.

And some decks, from supposedly reputable makers are, despite their
disclaimers, junk. The same people that put drive bricking viri on the
music cd's and have never made anything but excuses, not even a public
apology. You know who they are just from that.

> From the many musicians I know, I'm the only one who bought
> a service manual for the 4 track cassette recorder. It indeed seems to
> be uncommon to take a look at a service manual when something doesn't
> sound ok. This might be ok for home recording, since most people anyway
> couldn't use a service manual, but for professional recording a service
> manual is needed. You at least want an exploded diagram of the drive.
> No service manuals needed for computer CD/DVD drives, they will go to
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agbogbloshie+images :(, that was different for
> consumer and studio analog gear.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Windows Tip of the Day:
Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to your CONFIG.SYS file.
         law-abiding citizens.