[LAU] USB card oddness

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 11 2013 - 00:12:34 EET

I have one of those cheap little sound cards which look like a
telephone handset which I've been using on my wife's computer. Had it
plugged into a USB multiport. Worked without a problem .... until
recently. The speaker worked just fine, but the microphone refused to
work. And when I say that it didn't work, it was completely dead. Mind
you both pulse and alsa found the mic just fine. I thought the unit
was buggered. After all, it's just a 5 or 10$ device.

But, I tried it on my computer and it worked fine.

Hmmm .... now I get to debug!

Figured it out after a few hours :) We'd only recently plugged her
mouse into the same multiport. If the "telephone" is plugged into a
different port, it works. If the mouse is not plugged into the
multiport, it works.

So, the problem turns out to be that having a mouse and the microphone
on the same multiport caused the problem.

Posted here so someone else can save a few hours :)

--
**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden