[LAU] SteamOS RT kernel

From: Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 15 2013 - 01:09:02 EET

Anyone who has visited a Linux/tech news site today will no doubt be aware
of the launch of the beta version of Valve's SteamOS. I've not had chance
to try it myself yet and I won't get the chance to play with it for a few
days either but its based on a heavily patched Debian Wheezy.

What could be of more interest to Linux audio land is that it uses a
heavily patched 3.10 RT kernel. Although Valve's tweaks won't have been
made with JACK / LA in mind, I can't help but wonder if their modifications
will be of benefit to Linux audio?

Regardless, I think SteamOS is fantastic news for Linux. This is hot on the
heels of DOOM's 20th birthday. DOOM was of course one of the first
commercial games to have a Linux port and to later get GPL'd and it was the
game that convinced me (and millions of others, I'm sure) to buy a PC.