Re: [LAU] question about FOSS WFS implentations

From: Ivica Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 17 2013 - 17:14:45 EET

On Dec 17, 2013 5:29 AM, "Fons Adriaensen" <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:13:18PM -0500, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>
> > Some preliminary research reveals several FOSS implementations of
> > WFS (wave field synthesis). What is not entirely clear is how these
> > implementations stack up to something like Sonic Emotion. I presume
> > they will be subpar but the question is by how much and in what
> > ways?
> >
> > Ok, now another question. Is anyone aware of a 3D FOSS WFS
> > implementation (multiple horizontal rows) and how hard would it be
> > to use?
>
> Given the number of speakers used, the S.E. system can't be pure
> WFS except at very low frequencies. It probably uses a combination
> of techniques: WFS, some things based on AMB theory, delays, etc.
> but they won't tell you more.

I had an opportunity to listen to their system and even though it was quite
sparse it still delivered a very compelling image even close to the
speakers. If the system was using anything in the way of ambisonics it
would have done so only using the actual horizontal array. Given that
highest repreducible frequency is directly related to the distance between
the speakers I am wondering if this may be because they are also trying to
render waves from virtual speakers as they propagate through the real
speakers as well as using a selection of speakers to render certain sounds
as per recent publications in this area.