Re: [LAU] Midi program change in Muse

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 30 2013 - 09:12:48 EET

On December 29, 2013 05:15:10 PM Brent Busby wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know how to insert a Midi program change command
> in mid-sequence in Muse? If I bring up the piano roll editor to edit a
> region, there is a tool at the bottom under "ctrl" to insert things,
> including program numbers, but anything I put there changes the global
> program number for the whole track, and is seen in the main window as
> the new program for that track's whole timeline.
>
> I'm sure there's got to be a way to put a program change command into
> the middle of the track timeline, isn't there?

If you have added the Program "Ctrl" graph you can you can enter
 program changes on the graph.

(It may be more convenient to enter program changes as events in the
 Event List Editor.)

Be aware, if you enter only ONE value on the graph, the area on the graph
 to the LEFT of that value is termed 'undefined'.
Once that single program change has happened, either by playing through it
 or moving the transport head through it, if you then REWIND (or reposition)
 the transport, that program STAYS in effect.
Maybe this is what you are experiencing.
Therefore you should enter an INITIAL program at time=0.
Thus upon REWIND the program always returns to some INITIAL value.
This is true for all controllers in MusE, including controller events manually
 entered in the Event List Editor.

Each midi track has a midi port which has an instrument. MusE instruments
 can ALSO define default INITIAL time-0 values for the controllers, so that
 upon REWIND, these values are automatically sent.
However this "use instrument default controller values upon REWIND"
 feature needs to be enabled in the Global Settings, Midi tab.
(I added this 'switch' and turned it off by default because of complaints,
 maybe a useful feature for some but usually best if the USER manually
 enters and is aware of ALL events and values.)
Any manually entered time-0 values will override any instrument-defined
 initial time-0 values.

Hope this helps, ask away. We also have mailing lists and web forums.
Cheers, happy new year to you and LAU.
Tim.