Re: [LAU] No sound with jack

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 30 2013 - 15:42:01 EET

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Peter O'Doherty <mail@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On 12/30/2013 10:16 AM, hermann meyer wrote:
>
>> Am 30.12.2013 09:29, schrieb Peter O'Doherty:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I've just installed qjackctl and am having trouble with the audio setup
>>> in a few programs (like pd, supercollider). When I run these programs I get
>>> no sound and also no error messages in qjackctl.
>>> Is there a way to test whether jack is working correctly?
>>>
>>> Here is my setup:
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 13.04
>>> qjackctl 0.3.10
>>> libjack-jackd2-0
>>> libjack-jackd2-dev
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peter
>>>

>>> you can try
>> jack_metro -f 220 -A 0.6 -b 120
>>
>> connect in qjackctl metro with system out, if jack is setup correct, you
>> will hear the metronome.
>>
>> (press ctrl+c to exit metro)
>>

> Thanks. I see now what the problem is - whilst the audio outs are
> automatically connected to system playback_1 and playback_2, sound is
> actually coming from playback_3 and playback_4. How can I change this in
> the settings?

You can't. JACK doesn't have settings like this. There are ways to make
connections "persistent" (i.e. recreated at startup) but the right
solutions vary depending on the JACK clients you are using (and, for
example, whether or not you use a session manager).

FWIW ... my builtin soundcard is similar: the default device has 8 channels
and the rear connectors are actually channels 7 & 8. Really this needs
fixing inside the h/w mixer of the audio chipset, but I'm not sure if ALSA
has the capability to do this at this point in time. I believe that Windows
drivers can.