Re: [LAU] notation software

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 31 2013 - 21:31:21 EET

On Tuesday, 31 December, 2013 14:12:56 Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 6:47 AM, David Santamauro
>
> <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > It's been a while since I researched notation software. What are the major
> > players in the linux world? What is being actively maintained? What is new
> > and cutting edge?
>
> MuseScore & Rosegarden are probably the most mature score editors, at
> least the ones I've tried. MuseScore is more in spirit to Sibelius and
> Finale, whereas Rosegarden can be used as a DAW with JACK, and
> supports LADSPA & DSSI plugins, although does not yet support LV2.
> Nothing beats Lilypond, though. I use it for all of my composing, not
> just for printing.

Lilypond has a markup language (NOT musixML). Seem to be too awkward for
composing or notation where I want to place notes, not type commands.

Problem is that many programs claiming to export to Lilypond produce junk. So
need to fire up Frescobaldi, Lilypond editor, to try to fix it so must know the
commands anyway. Sure don't feel like composing.