Re: [LAU] Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 08 2014 - 11:34:08 EET

[Jeremy Jongepier]
>Thanks for the info Robin, I was about to acquire a Scarlett 2i4 but I
>guess I need to look for other options.

I'd like to add that the 2i4 seems to be pretty much incapable of
useable low-latency operation in some situations. Even with buffer
sizes in the tens to hundreds of milliseconds it produces frequent
clicks on the same system that runs a UCG-102 at 3x48/48k with no
problems, a Thinkpad with an Intel chipset, 3.12.5-rt7.

This kernel includes the patch[*] that was recently mentioned in an
Ubuntu bug report by James Stone on this list, supposedly fixing
lowish-latency operation of the 2i4.

Interestingly, the clicks were never reported by jackd as xruns.
Eager to move on, I haven't bothered to check if the clicks are caused
by under- or overruns, or even both, let alone check which part of the
setup was actually causing the poor performance.

Tim

[*] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e194401783