Re: [LAU] Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 11 2014 - 00:48:15 EET

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 08:42:40PM +0000, James Stone wrote:
>
>> noise when gain was set to just below clipping (going by the red
>> warning LED on the device) was < -90dB (according to the spectrum
>> analyser on audacity).
>
> Do you mean the spectrum analyser showed a trace at -90 dB ?

Yep - the spectrum analyser showed a trace at around -93dB across all
bands. Is this meaningful? I guess it may be higher for the mic
preamps.

With further testing, I think I can detect a similar change in gain
effect from what Robin reported - I seem to be getting between -13.0
and -13.6 db at the lowest end of the spectrum for the snippet that is
being played back. Seems a bit random where it comes though. I think
they are analogue pots, so maybe this might account for this
variance?? - anyway, I think it is too subtle to notice in normal use.

James