Re: [LAU] Exam Cheating investigation

From: Neil C Smith <neil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 18 2014 - 15:55:42 EET

On 18 January 2014 13:28, Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> It's even in the name: SMART phones. If they are allowed you basically
> test the intelligence of the phone and not of the student ;D

Hahaha .. smart phones are not intelligent! Reminds of a quote from
Steve Grand (Creation) -

"Here’s a thought experiment; take one super, hyper intelligent, chess
computer like Deep Blue, say, and take one domestic rabbit - this is
what happens when you ask a rabbit to play chess. They’re not very
good at it. The Queen’s opening gambit gets them every time. So on
that basis, chess computers are far more intelligent than rabbits but
if you swap the experiment around and try throwing them both into a
bucket of water, it strikes me that the one who's really the most
intelligent is the one who figures out how not to drown. Now I’ve
tried this experiment loads of times now and chess computers just
don’t get it - it’s cost me a fortune. "

It's no different to the fact that in my high school maths exams we
were allowed to use calculators. Intelligence is not knowledge, it is
the *application* of knowledge. If the exam requires no intelligence,
it's not a very good exam!

2c

Best wishes,

Neil