Re: [LAU] icecast with jack as input source - experiences of a noob

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 24 2014 - 16:54:20 EET

On Sat, January 25, 2014 1:17 am, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:27:15PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Maybe someone has another suggestion?
>
> If anyone would have asked me an hour ago I wouldn't have know the
> difference between icecast and a fridge. [1]
>
> The thread prompted me to explore a bit. Installed the icecast
> package for Arch, and darkice-1.2 from source. Read some docs,
> edited the config files. Configured darkice to use Jack and mp3.
> Worked perfectly the first time.

Did you try running a stream with ices, jack, ogg?

If you read the official icecast docs there is no mention of darkice. The
official suggestion is to use ices.

icecast with ices does not have jack support which I think is a hole that
needs to be fixed.

icecast with darkice and mp3 appears to work ootb on arch but on debian
darkice is not compiled with liblame support so you cannot use darkice
with mp3 ootb.

However if you use "vorbis", not "ogg" as the format for darkice on debian
it turns out that it does support that option ootb.

It's kind of funny because ices want people to use "jack.ogg.m3u" where as
darkice expects people to use "jack.m3u" for the stream address.

FYI, I have managed to get darkice to work with an ogg stream using the
"vorbis" format and I have been able to get ices to work with JACK using
this command:

ecasound -i:jack,system -o:stdout | ices2 /etc/icecast2/ices-jack.xml

In the former case I get a 2 minute buffer delay with vlc and with the
latter the buffer is almost instant after I tweaked the buffer settings in
/etc/icecast2/icecast2.xml

        <burst-on-connect>0</burst-on-connect>
        <!-- same as burst-on-connect, but this allows for being more
             specific on how much to burst. Most people won't need to
             change from the default 64k. Applies to all mountpoints -->
        <burst-size>10000</burst-size>

Not sure why darkice has such a long startup period though but that
definitely adds some confusion.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd