[LAU] slightly OT: MIDI management for physical synths

From: Chris Caudle <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 26 2014 - 01:14:26 EET

Slightly off topic of linux audio, but I need some MIDI advice and this is
the only list I currently monitor with electonic musicians.

I have a few hardware synths that I would like to begin using with my
computer music setup. The last time I had them all set up I did not have
a computer included in the system, so I had somewhat simpler connection
needs.
I have a MIDI interface with one port, and wondered if there is a better
way of managing the MIDI connections than daisy chaining in and through
ports on the synths. Especially for the input of the computer card, I now
have more than one controller that I would like to alternate as the MIDI
generating device.

I think the essence of my question is what is the best arrangement for
something like a patchbay for MIDI.

There is a company called MIDI Solutions which has merge and splitter
devices powered from the MIDI connection:
http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

That is the only current device I found. All the previous manufacturers
of MIDI patch/merge devices seem to have stopped making any devices
similar to the Roland A-880, Kawai MAV-8, Digital Music MX-8, etc. that I
have found searching ebay.

My first instinct is to buy or build a real physical patch bay, with a row
of DIN connectors and patch cables to let me patch any device to computer
in, computer out to any device in, and through from any device to any
other device. Sounds like a pain now that I write it out, and something
that should be done from an electronic interface rather than connectors
and cables.

What is everyone else with a large collection of MIDI hardware doing?
Stacking up USB MIDI interfaces on a USB hub? Just hanging on to the
vintage MIDI patch bays? Is there a current production model I have
missed?

--
Chris Caudle