Re: [LAU] slightly OT: MIDI management for physical synths

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 26 2014 - 05:50:21 EET

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Chris Caudle <chris@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Slightly off topic of linux audio, but I need some MIDI advice and this is
>> the only list I currently monitor with electonic musicians.
>>
>> I have a few hardware synths that I would like to begin using with my
>> computer music setup. The last time I had them all set up I did not have
>> a computer included in the system, so I had somewhat simpler connection
>> needs.
>>

> [ ... ]
>
> speaking personally, i am holding on to my "vintage" Ensoniq KMX-16
> 16x16 physical MIDI patch bay. I also own a "computer"-based MIDI
> patch bay at a studio but I forget its name - functionally it is the
> same basic idea, but happens to have a more sophisticated
> (programmable) configuration. It dates to the early 2000's, and is
> German. The Ensoniq works great.

I'm using the Ensoniq KMX-16 patchbay also. It lets you setup up to 99
presets defining what can talk to what, which is really handy for those
times when you'd like to temporarily reverse the direction of the chain
so you can send sysex dumps back into the computer.

To provide the actual midi hookup to the computer, I have an Edirol
UM-3EX USB midi adapter, which has 3 in/out pairs that all show up in
Linux and work great. Each of the three ins and outs get a port on the
KMX, and it can route from there so that you can either sequence on your
computer, or sequence from hardware if you want.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky