Re: [LAU] Script to clean up Ardour unused files ?

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 26 2014 - 23:46:18 EET

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:05:49 -0500,
Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote :

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden
> <jonetsu@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
> > 'Script' might be a big word, but a command-line way to remove all
> > the files that are not used in Ardour(3). Is it safe to assume
> > that all files found in ../dead/ can be removed without deleting
> > files that are in use ?
> >

> You are expected to use Session > Cleanup > Empty Wastebasket
>
> If you don't use that, then purging everything under the dead/
> subdirectory is acceptable but not supported.
>
> There is no way to to automate the behaviour of Session > Cleanup >
> Clean-up Unused Sources
>
> (it involves quite a lot of knowledge about session structure, and
> potentially recursive parsing of XML).

It would be quite useful, though, and possibly not only for me. That
knowledge should be able to be extracted from the Ardour source and
adapt it for use outside of it. If it's mainly (only ?) knowledge, eg.
that no methods other than for static information access are used.
Hmmm.. maybe a yet unsaved session is asked about what tracks being in
use or not ? But then, maybe an automatic save is made before calling
the Session > Cleanup method.

Perl would be good for that, with XML parsing capabilties 'built-in' so
to speak. Unfortunately I'm too busy now to start such a project,
although it's interesting.