Re: [LAU] A text-only environment for composing electronic music?

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 27 2014 - 02:14:12 EET

Mario Lang wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am looking for a programmable (text mode) seuqnecer solution.
> I am aware of the KISS principle and actually love it very much. So if
> anyone has suggestions on how to implement such a workflow/tool with
> existing tools and plumbing code, I am very open to ideas and
> suggestions. However, I get a feeling that what I want is only
> convenient if relatively tightly integrated, so that I do not have to
> tinker with too many individual tools while trying to be productive.

Hi Mario,

Well, you'll have to learn both ways: either about
twelve duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck. :-)

However from my survey of the Linux audio landscape, there
are few, if any, integrated music production tools for
terminal users. You basically end up finding the best fit
from a combination of applications and utilities.

Nama has made a good effort toward a creating a console
friendly environment based on Ecasound for recording,
mixing, effects processing and live effects control. For
MIDI composition, and sampling, you will need to find
other tools. Julien accomplished a lot with Midish, and
I think some improvements in JACK's MIDI infrastructure will
make that a little easier by eliminating the need for an
ALSA-JACK bridge utility.

Greetings,

Joel