Re: [LAU] Album produced in Linux

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 06 2014 - 05:37:56 EET

On 06/02/14 01:13, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> I'm sorry (actually, no, I'm not), but the market doesn't work like
> that: people don't choose a worse tool for the job _en masse_.

> Another question: why should they care?
>
> Alexandre

I care because I want continued access to non-centralise (peer to peer)
distribution networks, for information and for cultural works.

So I choose to work in a way that prefers these channels. That choice is related
to the kind of society I want to live in, as such it is a deeply political choice.

Huge centralised server networks certainly make it easier for the user to
consume what is offered, and perhaps make distribution of approved works easier
for a broad range of conforming artists. News Limited is a very convenient
source of news and information, very dominant here but consistently full of
bullshit. Information and cultural works are increasingly blocked from
centralised server networks for all kinds of reasons, some of which certainly
contradict my idea of appropriate content.

Most people don't seem to care much how that information, music and other
content is filtered or for what purposes. Here (in Australia) the level of
secrecy with regard to public policy and decision making and the extent to which
mainstream media is filled almost exclusively with vacuous nonsense is getting
worse and worse. We seem to believe it is the right way to go ... at least when
it comes to actually choosing via elections (voting is compulsory and
preferential here, we have well over 90% voting with plenty of choice available).

If this is to be the easy, mainstream way I will choose the more difficult,
fringe path. My tastes are frugal, I'm not young and I don't have dependants so
I'll probably escape the harshest effects of steady shift in social structures
here. Most of us seem willing to embrace it, and so we will, but I can at least
keep a little bit independent on a personal level and argue against it whenever
I can.

Simon