Re: [LAU] How is the bass mixed? Per-channel frequency analysis? Histogram?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 06 2014 - 22:13:28 EET

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 22:02 +0000, James Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 11:28:15 -0500
> Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > That said, if you're listening to old Beatles stereo mixes, the bass
> > will only be on one channel (left, usually) and if you've sent the
> > right to the DAC, there's not much for the sub. I'd try and convert
> > the signal to mono for the sub feed.
> >

> This suprised me as I had heard that for vinyl it is particularly
> important to have mono bass to prevent the needle jumping :-)
>
> ie
> http://www.customrecords.com/prepare_music_for_vinyl_record.html

And if you gouge holes in a CD no data gets lost ;). JFTR a Beatles bass
does sound natural, however, even a "Bring the noise"-"Bass! How low can
you go?"-unnatural-bass mixed to one channel only wouldn't make the
needle jump, the needle will jump if you didn't adjust the counterweight
correctly and this btw. isn't the only thing you can adjust for a good
record player. I'm not speaking about audiophile record players, I'm
talking about good record players, e.g. the well known DJ model, but
even some HiFi players are very good. No CD is able to hold a candle to
a record played on a good record player.

On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 10:41 +0200, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
> One of the first rules of mixing you learn is to mix bass to the
> center.

Where did you learn and for what studios did you work? This is complete
nonsense.

On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 10:17 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 10:41:33AM +0200, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
>
> > One of the first rules of mixing you learn is to mix bass to the
> > center.
>
> There is no such rule.

+1

> > Also when mixing for vinyl if bass is not centered it will make
> > the needle jump out of the groove.
>
> No, it won't.

+1

On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 15:54 +0200, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
> just saying that this is what everyone else is saying.

I don't know anybody who claims this bass nonsense.