Re: [LAU] Bitwig at long last...?

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 07 2014 - 11:43:51 EET

Am 06.02.2014 11:02, schrieb rosea grammostola:
> Isn't it a disadvantage of such all-in-one-daws that all music
> produced with it sounds pretty similar to each other, everybody
> uses the same samples and plugins. An creative advantage of modular
> linuxaudio could be that you've a high level of creativity and
> uniqueness in your music.

Tools do have an influence but it is up to the musician, to evaluate
and master that influence in relation to his/her musical vision.

And of course: if your musical vision is music with complex
polyrythmic structure then a DAW that is optimized to do the olde
4onthefloor will be harder to use to get there.

Anyway, I think you refer to the tendency of some hobbyists to
actually *follow* lines that software draws by optimization for
certain styles, sounds, structures etc. Some people love it, to use
templates and resets and since some of those presets and templates are
actually excellent, many releases sound similar. This is stupid but
not the fault of the software. It is entirely up to those musicians.

The only exception would be software, that is so primitive, that it
excluselively allows to switch some presets.
Regarding Bitwig and its built-ins, that is not the case. They ship
some presets but you can alter them to make the plugins sound the same
as freaked out as any obscure DIY-hardware or PD-patch would offer.

When I talked to the devs at Bitwig I had the very strong impression,
that one of their goals is to provide a system with infinite
possibilities. Especially the concept for automation is so advanced,
that it seems quite hard to handle for my tastes, when you really use
all opportunities it has to offer. And the plugin-section is built for
modularity, this does not work to the full yet but once it has matured
it is actually a complete modular synth in the style of AMS.

best regards

HZN