Re: [LAU] How is the bass mixed? Per-channel frequency analysis? Histogram?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 07 2014 - 14:45:49 EET

On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 09:17 +0200, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
> given that the bass is so critical to the mix,
> you want them to hear it wherever they are in relation to the speakers
> (this applies to dance music as much as any other -- you want all the
> clubbers to feel the same bass groove

This is written by somebody who has got absolutely no knowledge about
mixing. Perhaps this person knows how to mix dance/club music, but the
claim "this applies [...] as much as any other" is nonsense.
I read much about sub woofers on this list. I hope people are aware that
a bass has got some high frequencies too, so a bass can be located and
JFTR it's also possible to listen to music by headphones.

Some people like to listen to music that is drawing a room and that has
got a wide dynamic range. Relation to the speakers does matter for
stereo, so do they completely mix in mono for dance/club music? No, they
are mixing stereo, it's just stupid music made by people who aren't
musicians and the main instrument are a bass line and a kick in unison
to the bass line. If such an dance/club audio engineer isn't aware hat
there are thousands of different music styles and that some music styles
are really composed and/or improvised and not just a bass line + a
synced kick and that even for many kinds of dance music, the rhythm
group often is very subdued in the background, then such a wrong claim
still is a wrong claim.