Re: [LAU] How is the bass mixed? Per-channel frequency analysis? Histogram?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 08 2014 - 08:54:03 EET

On 02/06/2014 09:17 PM, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
>> And if you gouge holes in a CD no data gets lost ;). JFTR a Beatles bass
>> does sound natural, however, even a "Bring the noise"-"Bass! How low can
>> you go?"-unnatural-bass mixed to one channel only wouldn't make the
>> needle jump, the needle will jump if you didn't adjust the counterweight
>> correctly and this btw. isn't the only thing you can adjust for a good
>> record player. I'm not speaking about audiophile record players, I'm
>> talking about good record players, e.g. the well known DJ model, but
>> even some HiFi players are very good. No CD is able to hold a candle to
>> a record played on a good record player.
>
> I'm not going to pretend I understood anything of this.
>
>> I don't know anybody who claims this bass nonsense.
>
> I gave you a link, but if you look around there are plenty of sources
> that claim this, for example here is what soundonsound says:
>
> "There are few 'rules' in music production, but panning bass isn't far
> off. It is usually a good idea to pan the bass and kick to the centre.
> Partly this is historical

Or with where the instruments themselves might usually be located on
stage? I always have this image of Ye Old Rock'n'Roll Band on stage,
with the drummer centered in the back, bassist to one side or the other
of the drums, keyboards maybe on the other side from the bassist.
Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Cream, Led Zeppelin. I think even Chuck Berry
usually set up that way.

I remember when my church band was recording with 16 tracks (before the
death of Firewire on laptops), I'd center the drums and bass and pan the
other instruments and singers to try to match their locations on stage.
But that could just be me; I like live recordings where I can hear where
each performer is.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden