Re: [LAU] How is the bass mixed? Per-channel frequency analysis? Histogram?

From: Matt Garman <matthew.garman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 09 2014 - 23:33:02 EET

Hi Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to put that together! Looks like I have
a fair amount of learning to do before I can make sense of exactly
what's going on (I mean, I get the gist at a very high level, but
don't understand the details enough to hack the code).

I ran it on a few tracks that I thought would be interesting. Clearly
this list has a number of folks with mixing experience and/or
knowledge, maybe they can comment on what I'm seeing:

1. Leo Kottke "The Driving of the Year Nail" - first track from 6- and
12-String Guitar. Looks like there's a definite bias towards the left
channel.
    http://raw-sewage.net/images/stereoscope/kottke.png
I would have expected both channels to be perfectly equal, since this
is exactly one instrument. (I have no mixing or studio experience,
keep in mind, just a guy who likes music. So this is what my
uninformed intuition says.)

2. The Beatles "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - from The While Album.
    http://raw-sewage.net/images/stereoscope/beatles.png
I picked this since there was a mention of Beatles albums having the
bass mixed only to one side. If I could hack the code to do a low
pass filter, this might be an interesting track. But, it appears to
me there's a definite bias for the lowest frequencies to be panned to
the right side.

3. Above & Beyond "Let Go" - from Anjunabeats Vol 8.
    http://raw-sewage.net/images/stereoscope/above_beyond.png
Just curious what some electronic music looked like... This could well
be a mono mix?

4. Beethoven "Moonlight Sonata" - from a collection of Beethoven's
piano sonatas (not sure who the performer is or label, too lazy to go
pull the CD)
    http://raw-sewage.net/images/stereoscope/beethoven.png
This graph looks kind of weird. Is there really that little
high-frequency information?

Anyway, thanks again Dan! I'll keep playing with the tool and trying
to learn to see if I can come up with any more interesting info.

-Matt