Re: [LAU] A text-only environment for composing electronic music?

From: Jeff Sandys <jpsandys@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 11 2014 - 23:35:43 EET

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:11:23 +0100
> From: Mario Lang <mlang@email-addr-hidden>
> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
> Subject: [LAU] A text-only environment for composing electronic music?
>
> Hi.
>
> I am looking for a programmable (text mode) sequencer solution.
> I know that Linux has a few small languages for creating
> MIDI files, like MMA. Even LilyPond can be tricked into being a MIDI
> file generating language. However, none of the solutions I have seen so
> far could be easily integrated as the center/hub of a full composition.
>
> <snip>
> --
> CYa,
> ?????
>
> I didn't see these text based music programs in this thread.

For a MIDI based composition environment athenacl is a very dense python
based command line composition program. It does have a steep learning
curve but the thick documentation is good. I don't think it is exactly
what you are looking for but if you are interested in creating your own
composition environment, this might be worthwhile. It seems to be intended
for music students who can extend it with python.
     http://www.flexatone.org/athena.html

If you are more interested in live coding ixi is a fun and easy to
comprehend command line program, built on top of SuperCollider. It
probably wouldn't be the center of a full composition, but its command line
syntax is sweet.
     http://ixi-audio.net/ixilang/index.html

Renick Bell blew me away at LAC2013 using his Conductive library for
Haskell. It appears that you could compose a whole piece as a program or
revise the program on the fly.
     http://www.renickbell.net/doku.php?id=conductive

-- Jeff Sandys