Re: [LAU] Script to clean up Ardour unused files ?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 12 2014 - 00:24:51 EET

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:50:38PM +0100, Lieven Moors wrote:

> I agree with Fons here, and I have been bitten by this more than once
> myself. Snapshots are often used as a safety measure, and now it is too
> easy to accidentily save your changes to a session that was not meant to
> change. The fact that the original session, and the snapshots often look
> very similar, makes such accidental saves very likely. I agree it is very
> flexible that snapshots can be treated as ordinary sessions, and that
> shouldn't change. If only there would be an option in ardour (that would
> be on by default) that would warn the user that he is saving changes to
> a snapshot, and NOT to the original session.

There is a very simple solution for this. Currently 'Save as' and
'New snapshot' save exactly the same file, the only difference
being that the latter doesn't change the current session name.

Now if 'Save as' would add a property 'is_session=True' and
'New snapshot' would not do that, then Ardour could do the right
thing when loading a file, i.e. only change the current session
name if this property is set and True.

Then if the user loads a snapshot AND wants to modify it, or
change the session name, then all he/she needs to do is use
'Save as' again. Or there could be an option in the 'Load'
dialog.

Ciao,

--
FA